Wednesday 12 September 2012

Friday Fictioneers


There is no attic in the house.  There is no attic in the house!  How can a twenty-year-old skeleton appear in a new home's closet?

Dust swirled cobweb arms through the air, coating my face.  I waved my arms in front of me.  The air was so stale, I choked. The floorboards groaned and bounced as if made of rubber.

He told me he built this house just for us.  A new start.  A new life.  Forget about the past.

Why, then, was I staring at his ex-wife's corpse, an engagement ring identical to mine dangling from her yellowed knuckle?

7 comments:

  1. OK, time to hit the road. Right now, without stopping for anything else!! This is NOT a lasting relationship (unless she can't get away in time.)

    Nice and creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a match made much lower than heaven. So he built a new house and put a 20 year old skeleton in the closet. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, feet don't fail me now! I hear the flies on the window growling "get out!" Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creepy - a modern version of Bluebeard, right? And the matching engagement rings make the story that much creepier! Run, do not walk, out the door; if he's between you and the door, go out the window! And don't look back. It'll slow you down.

    I think you can tell that this one grabbed me - well told!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, run I say......

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is not a good start to moving into a new house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely creepy story. Left me wanting to shout at her to get out of there.

    ReplyDelete